Online Encyclopedia

NEUWEILER

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 450 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NEUWEILER, a town of Germany, in the imperial province of Alsace-Lorraine, situated under the Vosges Mountains, 6 m. N. from Zabern by the railway to Rastatt. Pop. (1905) 1go6. It is an interesting medieval town, still surrounded by walls. The Romanesque Evangelical church dates from the 12th century; there are also a Romanesque Roman Catholic church, which was restored in 1852, a synagogue, and an old town-hall. The town has a considerable trade in hops and wine. Above it rise the ruins of the fortress of Herrenstein, and of the castle of Hiineburg. See Fischer, Geschichte der Abtei and Stadt Neuweiler (Zabern, 1876). NEUWIED, a town of Germany, in the Prussian Rhine province, the capital of the mediatized countship of Wied, is situated on the right bank of the Rhine, 8 m. below Coblenz, on the railway from Frankfort-on-Main to Cologne. Pop. (1905) 18,177. The principal edifice is the chateau of the princes of Wied. This is situated in a fine park, and contains a collection of Roman antiquities. The town has an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church. Its chief products are starch, sugar, tobacco, cigars, chicory, buttons and enamelled goods. There are large rolling-mills, and in the vicinity are several large iron-foundries. The schools of Neuwied enjoy a high reputation. Neuwied was founded by Count Frederick of Wied in 1602, on the site of the village of Langendorf, which was destroyed during the Thirty Years' War, and it rapidly increased owing to the toleration accorded to all religious sects. Among those who sought refuge here was a colony of Moravian Brethren; they still occupy a separate quarter of the town, where they carry on manufactures of porcelain stoves and deerskin gloves.' Near Neuwied one of the largest Roman castra on the Rhine has been excavated. In April 1797 the French, under General Hoche, defeated the Austrians near Neuwied, this being their first decisive success in the revolutionary wars. Legenhaus, in the neighbour-hood, is one of the residences of the princes of Weid. See Wirtgen and Blenke, Neuwied and seine Umgebung (Neuwied, 1901).
End of Article: NEUWEILER
[back]
ALPHONSE MARIE DE NEUVILLE (1836-1885)
[next]
NEVA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.