Online Encyclopedia

NEWHAVEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 500 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NEWHAVEN, a seaport in the Eastbourne parliamentary division of Sussex, England, 56 m. S. from London by the London, Brighton & South Coast railway, on the English Channel at the mouth of the Ouse. Pop. of urban district (Igor) 6772. The church of St Michael has a Norman square embattled tower surmounted by a spire, and an apsidal chancel. The port is protected by fortifications. A harbour was first granted to Newhaven in 1713, and during the early part of the 18th century it possessed a large shipping trade. This afterwards declined, but it is now one of the principal points of communication between England and France, the railway company maintaininga daily service of fast steamers to Dieppe in connexion with the Chemin de fer de 1'Ouest. The tidal harbour, which is owned by a company, is enclosed by two piers and a breakwater, the area being about 30 acres, and the quayage 1400 yds. The roadstead is one of the finest on the coast of England. With France there is a large traffic in wines, spirits, silk, fruit, vegetables and general provisions. The coasting trade consists chiefly of imports of coal and provisions, the exports being principally timber for shipbuilding and flint for the Staffordshire potteries. Some shipbuilding is carried on.
End of Article: NEWHAVEN
[back]
NEWFOUNDLAND
[next]
JOHN ALEXANDER REINA NEWLANDS (1838-1898)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.