Online Encyclopedia

NEWQUAY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 535 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NEWQUAY, a seaport and watering-place, in the St Austell parliamentary division of Cornwall, England, 14 M. N. of Truro, on a branch of the Great Western railway. Pop. of urban district (1901) 2935. It is finely situated on the north coast, on Newquay Bay, which is sheltered to the west by Towan Head. The cliff scenery is grand, and there is a fine sandy beach along the northward sweep of the coast in Watergate Bay. The harbour, artificially constructed, and equipped with a jetty and piers, admits vessels of 250 tons. The chief exports are iron and other ores, china clay, granite, fish and grain. The imports are coal, salt and manures.
End of Article: NEWQUAY
[back]
NEWPORT PAGNELL
[next]
NEWRY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.