Online Encyclopedia

NEW MERV

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V18, Page 176 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NEW MERV, the present chief town of the oasis, founded in the first, quarter .of the 19th century, is on the Transcaspian railway, 38o m. by rail south-west from Samarkand. It stands on both banks of the Murghab, 82o ft. above the Caspian. Pop. (1897), 8727, including Russians, Armenians, Turkomans, Persians and Jews. It has a meteorological observatory. Corn, raw cotton, hides, wool, nuts and dried fruit are exported. See E. O'Donovan, The Mery Oasis (2 vols., London, 1882); C. Marvin, Mery (London, 188o) ; and H. Lansdell, The Russians at Mery and Herat (London, 1883). (J. T. BE.)
End of Article: NEW MERV
[back]
NEW MECKLENBURG (Ger. Neu-Mecklenburg, formerly New...
[next]
NEW MEXICO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.