Online Encyclopedia

NIAGARA FALLS (formerly Clifton or Su...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 635 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NIAGARA FALLS (formerly Clifton or Suspension Bridge), a town and port of entry of Welland county, Ontario, Canada, 40 M. S.S.E. of Toronto, on the west bank of the Niagara river and opposite the Falls. Pop. (1901) 4244. It is a station on the Grand Trunk, Michigan Central and St Catharines & Niagara Central railways, and has electric railway communication with the chief towns in the neighbourhood. Three large steel bridges connect it with the American town of Niagara Falls on the opposite bank. Its importance is chiefly due to the tourist traffic, but the unrivalled water power is being more and more employed. Factories have sprung up, and power is transmitted to Toronto and other cities. A beautiful park, named after 1 On the night of the loth of December 1813 the American general George McClure (1771-1851), upon abandoning Fort George, set fire to Newark, almost destroying the town and causing great suffering among the inhabitants. McClure attempted to justify this act by a strained construction of a letter to him from the secretary of war, but it was promptly disavowed by the United States government. The burning of Newark led to severe reprisals on the part of the British. above the Falls.
End of Article: NIAGARA FALLS (formerly Clifton or Suspension Bridge)
[back]
NIAGARA FALLS
[next]
FORT NIAGARA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.