Online Encyclopedia

NIEDERLAHNSTEIN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 669 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NIEDERLAHNSTEIN, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, situated on the right bank of the Rhine at the confluence of Lahn, 3 M. S.E. from Coblenz by the railway to Ems, and at the junction of lines to Hochheim and Cologne. Pop. (1905) 4351. It has two Roman Catholic churches. The chief industries are the making of machinery and shipbuilding. Niederlahnstein obtained civic rights in 1332, and was until 1803 on the territory of the electors of Trier. Here on the 1st of January 1814 a part of the Russian army crossed the Rhine. In the vicinity are the Johanniskirche, a Romanesque church restored in 1857, and the Allerheiligenberg, whereon stands a chapel, once a famous place of pilgrimage. NIEDER-SELTERS, a village of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, situated in a well-wooded country on the Ems, 12 M. S.E. from Limburg by the railway to Frankiorton-Main. Pop. (1900) 1339. Here are the springs of the famous Selters or Seltzer water, employed as specific in cases of catarrh of the respiratory organs, the stomach and bladder. Until 1866 the springs belonged to the duke of Nassau; since this date they have been the property of Prussia. They became famous in the earlier part of the 19th century, although they had been known many years previously. See Grossmann, Die Heilquellen des Taunus (Wiesbaden, 1887).
End of Article: NIEDERLAHNSTEIN
[back]
NIEDERBRONN
[next]
NIEDERWALD

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.