Online Encyclopedia

NIMAR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 701 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NIMAR, a district of British India, in the Nerbudda division of the Central Provinces. The administrative headquarters are at Khandwa; but the capital in Mahommedan times was Burhanpur. Area, 4273 sq. m. Pop. (1901) 329,615, showing an increase of 14.2% in the decade. The district consists of two portions of the Nerbudda and Tapti valleys, separated by a section of the Satpura range, about 15 M. in breadth. On the highest peak, about 85o ft. above the plain and 1800 above sea-level, stands the fortress of Asirgarh, commanding a pass which has for centuries been the chief highway between Upper India and the Deccan. The district contains extensive forests, but the only tract reserved by government is the Punasa forest, which extends for about 120 M. along the south bank of the Nerbudda, and contains young teak, besides sdj (Terminalia tomentosa) and anjan (Hardwickia binata). The staple crops are cotton and millet; ganja or Indian hemp is also allowed to be grown under government supervision. The Great Indian Peninsula railway runs through the district, and a branch of the Rajputana line from Indore joins it at Khandwa. There are factories for ginning and pressing cotton at Khandwa, and manufacture of gold-embroidered cloth at Burhanpur. The name Nimar, derived from that of the ancient province, is also applied to a district in the state of Indore, lying W. of the British district on both banks of the Nerbudda. Area, 3871 sq. m.; pop. (1901) 257,110. From 1823 onwards this tract, then belonging to Sindhia, was under British management; in 1861 it was ceded in full sovereignty to the British, but in 1867 it passed to Holkar as the result of an exchange of territory. See Nimar District Gazetteer (Allahabad, 1908). Nf MES, a city of southern France, capital of the department of Gard, 174 M. S. by W. of Lyons on the Paris-Lyon railway, between Avignon and Montpellier. Pop. (1906) 70,708. Nimes, important alike for its industries and for its archaeological treasures, lies at the foot of the Garrigues, a range of stony and barren hills which limit it on the north and west. The most prominent of these is the Mont Cavalier, the summit of which is crowned by the Tour Magne, a ruined Roman tower commanding a fine view of the town and its surroundings. To the south and east the town overlooks the monotonous plain traversed by the Vistre, and for the most part given over to the cultivation of the vine. Nimes covers a large area, owing to the fact that its population is housed in low buildings, not in the lofty tenements which are found in most of the industrial towns of France. The central and oldest part is encircled by shady boulevards, which occupy the site of the old fortifications. Here are to be found the majority of the Roman remains for which Nimes is remarkable. The most celebrated is the amphitheatre, the best preserved
End of Article: NIMAR
[back]
CHRISTINE NILSSON (1843– )
[next]
NIMES

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.