Online Encyclopedia

NORMANTON

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 756 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NORMANTON, an urban district in the Normanton parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, on the river Calder, 3 M. N.E. of Wakefield on the Midland, North Eastern and Lancashire & Yorkshire railways. Pop. (1901) 12,352. The church of All Saints is Norman and Perpendicular, with a square tower rebuilt in 1717, and contains a number of interesting monuments; the ancient stained glass is good. The grammar-school was founded about the end of the 16th century. Traces remain of a moat surrounding the town. A mound in the neighbourhood called Haw Hill is supposed to be a barrow. Altofts, a neighbouring parish, was the home of Sir Martin Frobisher in the 16th century. There are numerous collieries in the neighbourhood.
End of Article: NORMANTON
[back]
NORMANS
[next]
NORNS (0. Norse, Nornir)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.