Online Encyclopedia

NOVOMOSKOVSK

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 841 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NOVOMOSKOVSK, a town of Russia, in the government of Ekaterinoslav, 16 m. N.E. of the town of Ekaterinoslay. Including several villages which have been incorporated with it, it extends for nearly 7 M. along the right bank of the Samara, a tributary of the Dnieper. In the 17th century the site was occupied by several villages of Zaporogian Cossacks, known under the name of Samarchik. In 1687 Prince Golitsuin founded here the Ust-Samara fort, which was destroyed after the treaty of the Pruth (1711), but rebuilt in 1736, and the settlement of Novoselitsy established. The inhabitants of Novomoskovsk, who numbered 23,381 in 1900, are chiefly engaged in agriculture, though some are employed in tanneries, and there is a trade in horses, cattle, tallow, skins, tar and pitch. In the immediate neighbourhood is the Samarsko-Nikolayevskiy monastery, which is visited by many pilgrims. NOVO-RADOMSK, or RADOMSKO, a town of Russian Poland, in the government of Piotrkow, 28 m. by rail S.S.W. of the town of Piotrk6w. It has factories for bentwood furniture, woollens and cloth, tanneries, ironworks and sawmills, and is the centre of a very active trade. Pop. (1900) 14,464, many being Jews.
End of Article: NOVOMOSKOVSK
[back]
NOVOGEORGIEVSK
[next]
NOVOROSSIYSK

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.