Online Encyclopedia

NUKHA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 846 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
NUKHA, a town of Russian Caucasia, in the government of Elizavetpol, and previous to 1819 the capital of the khanate of Sheki, lying 57 in. N.E. of the town of Elizavetopol, at the S. foot of the main chain of the Caucasus. Pop. (1861) 22,618; (1897) 24,811; mainly Tatars, with some Armenians. The cupola of the church in the fortress is 2455 ft. above the sea-level, in 410 12' 18" N. and 470 12' 7" E. The fortress, a square enclosure, erected in 1765, contains the palace, built in 1790 in the original Persian style. The leading industry is the breeding of silkworms and the spinning of silk. Nukha was a mere village down to the middle of the 18th century, when it was chosen by Hajji Chelyabi, the founder of the khanate of Sheki, as his residence. The Russian occupation dates from 1807, though the annexation was not completed till 1819.
End of Article: NUKHA
[back]
NUISANCE (through Fr. noisance, nuisance, from Lat....
[next]
NULLAH (Hindostani for an arm of the sea, stream or...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.