Online Encyclopedia

OAKHAM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 935 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OAKHAM, a market town, and the county town of Rutland, England, 94 M. N. by W. of London by the Midland railway. Pop. (1901) 3294. The church of All Saints ranges in style from Early English to Perpendicular, belonging in appearance mainly to the latter style. Of Oakham Castle, founded in the reign of Henry II., the principal remnant is the notable Norman hall, used as the county hall. The manor came in the time of935 Henry II. into the hands of Walcheline de Ferrers, and subsequently passed, through many owners, to the duchy of Bucking-ham, whence it descended to the earls of Winchelsea. A peculiar custom attaching to the manor is to claim a horseshoe from every peer who, for the first time, passes through the town. Flore's House in the main street is an interesting building dating from the 13th century. Oakham school was endowed as a grammar school by Robert Johnson, archdeacon of Leicester, in 1584; it now has classical and modern sides. Not far from the town are the kennels of the Cottesmore hunt.
End of Article: OAKHAM
[back]
OAK (O. Eng., (lc)
[next]
OAKLAND

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.