Online Encyclopedia

OBAN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 945 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OBAN, a municipal and police burgh and seaport of Argyll-shire, Scotland. Pop. (1901) 5374. It is situated 113 M. N.W. of Glasgow by the Caledonian railway via Stirling and eallander, and about the same distance by water via the Crinan Canal. The fine bay on which it lies is screened from the Atlantic gales by the island of Kerrera (41- M. long by 2 M. broad), which practically converts it into a land-locked harbour. Being also sheltered from the north and east by the hills at the foot of which it nestles, the town enjoys an exceptionally mild climate for its latitude. The public buildings include the Roman Catholic pro-cathedral, erected by the 3rd marquis of Bute, the county 1 Wellhausen and Nowack regard vv. 8, 9 as a later addition, intended to apply vv. 1-7 to the future; so Marti, who groups with these verses 15a, because of the common reference to " the day of Yahweh." 2 The Judaeans are addressed in v. 16 (" as ye have drunk "), not the Edomites. Verse 20 anticipates that the exiles from northern Israel will occupy Phoenician territory, whilst those from Jerusalem " which are in Sepharad " will occupy the southern districts in the Messianic restoration. " Sepharad " has been connected with various places, e.g. Saparda in south-west Media (G. A. Smith), and cparda of Darius in the Behistun inscription (Robertson Smith) ; whilst, according to Winckler (K.A.T.3 p. 301), it is the name, from the Persian period onwards, for Asia Minor. Many of the Jews were doubtless sold as slaves by Nebuchadrezzar. Lydia was a great slave-market, and Asia Minor was a chief seat of the Diaspora at an early date (comp. Gutschmidt, Neue Beitrage, p. 77), so that " Sepharad " in itself does not supply ground for Hitzig's argument that Obadiah was written in the Greek period, when we read of many Jews being transplanted to Asia Minor (Jos. Ant. xii. 3). buildings and two hospitals. It is the centre of tourist traffic for western Argyllshire and the islands. Oban was a small village at the date of Johnson's visit during his Hebridean tour; in 1786 it became a government fishing station; it was made a burgh of barony in 1811 and a parliamentary burgh in 1832. With Ayr, Campbeltown, Inveraray and Irvine (the Ayr burghs) it unites to send one member to parliament. At the north end of the bay stands the ruin of Dunolly Castle, the old stronghold of the Macdougalls of Lorne, whose modern mansion adjoins it. In the grounds is a huge conglomerate rock called the Dog Stone (Clash-a-chain), from the legend that Fingal used to fasten his favourite dog Bran to it. About 3 M. N.E. are the ruins of Dunstaffnage Castle. It was here that the " Stone of Destiny," now contained in the base of the coronation chair at Westminster Abbey, was kept before its removal to Scone. At the south end of the island of Kerrera stand the ruins of Gylen Castle, an old fortalice of the Macdougalls.
End of Article: OBAN
[back]
OBADIAH
[next]
OBBLIGATO, or OBLIGATO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.