Online Encyclopedia

OBERLAHNSTEIN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 946 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OBERLAHNSTEIN, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Hesse-Nassau, on the right bank of the Rhine, at the confluence of the Lahn 4 M. above Coblenz, on the railway from Cologne to Frankfort-on-Main. Pop. (1905) 8472. It still retains parts of its ancient walls and towers, and possesses a castle, the Schloss Martinsburg, formerly the residence of the electors of Mainz, and the chapel, Marien Kapelle, in which the German king Wenceslaus was deposed by the electors in 1400. Near the town is the castle of Lahneck, built about 1290, destroyed by the French in 1689, and restored in 1854. In the neighbourhood are lead and silver mines. See J. Wegeler, Lahneck and Oberlahnstein (Trier, 1881).
End of Article: OBERLAHNSTEIN
[back]
OBERHAUSEN
[next]
ADAM ADOLF OBERLANDER (1845— )

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.