Online Encyclopedia

OBOK

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 953 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OBOK, a seaport on the north shore of the Gulf of Tajura, N.E. Africa, acquired by France in 1862. It gave its name to the colony of Obok, now merged in the French Somali coast protectorate (see SOMALILAND: French). The port is separated from the open sea by coral reefs, but is only partially sheltered from the winds. This led to the practical abandonment of the town by the French, who in 1896 transferred to Jibuti, on the opposite shore of the Gulf of Tajura, the seat of government of the colony. Obok is connected with Aden and Jibuti by sub-marine cables. Population about 500.
End of Article: OBOK
[back]
OBOE, or HAUTBOY (Fr. hautbois, Ger. Hoboe, Ital. o...
[next]
OBRA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.