Online Encyclopedia

OCAFIA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V19, Page 965 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OCAFIA, a town of central Spain, in the province of Toledo; on the extreme north of the tableland known as the Mesa de Ocana, with a station on the railway from Aranjuez to Cuenca. Pop. (1900) 6616. The town is surrounded by ruined walls, and in it are the remains of an old castle. In one of its parish churches is the chapel of Nuestra Senora de los Remedios, in which Ferdinand and Isabella were married in 1469. Ocana is the Vicus Cuminarius of the Romans, and was the dowry that El Motamid of Seville gave his daughter Zaida on her marriage with Alphonso VI. of Castile (1072-1109). Near Ocana, on the 19th of November 1809, the Spanish under their Irish general Lacy were routed by the French under Joseph Bonaparte and Marshal Soult.
End of Article: OCAFIA
[back]
OBTE
[next]
OCALA (a Seminole word for green or fertile land)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.