Online Encyclopedia

OELSNITZ

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 14 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OELSNITZ, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Saxony, on the Weisse Elster, 26 m. by rail S.W. of Zwickau. Pop. (1905) 13,966. It has two Evangelical churches, one of them being the old Gothic Jakobskirche, and several schools. There are various manufactories. Oelsnitz belonged in the 14th and 15th centuries to the margraves of Meissen, and later to the electors of Saxony. Near it is the village of Voigtsberg, with the remains of a castle, once a residence of the governor (Vogt) of the Vogtland. See Jahn, Chronik der Stadt Olsnitz (1875).
End of Article: OELSNITZ
[back]
ADAM OELSCHLAGER [OLEARIUS] (1600-1671)
[next]
OELWEIN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.