Online Encyclopedia

OHLAU

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 33 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OHLAU, a town of Germany, in the Prussian province of Silesia, 16 m. by rail S.E. of Breslau, on the left bank of the Oder. Pop. (1905) 9233. It has two Roman Catholic and two Evangelical churches, and a castle. Ohlau is the centre of a tobacco-growing district and has manufactures of tobacco and cigars, machinery, beer, shoes and bricks. It became a town in 1291 and passed to Prussia in 1742. In the 17th and 18th centuries it was often the residence of the dukes of Brieg and of the Sobieski family. See Schulz, A us Ohlaus Vergangenheit (Ohlau, 1902).
End of Article: OHLAU
[back]
OHIO RIVER
[next]
ADAM GOTTLOB OHLENSCHLAGER (1779-1850)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.