Online Encyclopedia

OLD TOWN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 75 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OLD TOWN, a city of Penobscot county, Maine, U.S.A., on the Penobscot river, about 12 M. N.E. of Bangor. Pop. (1890) 5312; (1900) 5763 (1247 foreign-born); (1910) 6317. It is served by the Maine Central and the Bangor & Aroostook railways, and by an electric line connecting with Bangor. The city proper is on an island (Marsh, or Old Town Island), but considerable territory on the W. bank of the river is included within the municipal limits. The manufacture of lumber is lumber, &c. The vicinity was settled in 1804, and this was the principal industry of the city. On Indian Island (opposite the first township organized (18o8), being then coextensive with the city) is the principal settlement of the Penobscot Indians, the county. Olean Creek was called Ischue (or Ischua); then an Abnaki tribe, now wards of the state. The abbe Louis Olean was suggested, possibly in reference to the oil-springs in Pierre Thury was sent here from Quebec about 1687 and built the vicinity. The village was officially called Hamilton for a a church in 1688-1689; in 1705 the mission passed under the time, but Olean was the name given to the post-office in 1817, control of the Jesuits. The first white settler in the vicinity and Olean Point was the popular local name. In 1909 several seems to have been John Marsh, who came about 1774, and who suburbs, including the village of North Olean (pop. in 1905, bought the island now known as Marsh Island. From 18o6 to 1761), were annexed to Olean, considerably increasing its area 1840, when it was incorporated as a separate township, Old and population. Town was a part of Orono. In 1891 it was chartered as a city. See History of Cattaraugus County, New York (Philadelphia, 1879). One of the oldest railways in the United States, and the first in OLEANDER, the common name for the shrub known to Maine, was completed to Old Town from Bangor in 1836. botanists as Nerium Oleander. It is a native of the Mediterranean
End of Article: OLD TOWN
[back]
OLD TESTAMENT APOCRYPHAL
[next]
OLDBURY

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.