Online Encyclopedia

ORANIENBAUM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 161 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ORANIENBAUM, a town of European Russia, in the government of St Petersburg, lying zoo ft. above the sea on the south constitution met on the 18th of December 1907, when it was announced that the Transvaal and Orange Colony had each given notice of the termination of the intercolonial council with the intention of each colony to gain individual control coast of the Gulf of Finland, opposite Kronstadt. Pop. (1897) 5333. It is well known for its imperial palace and as a summer resort for the inhabitants of St Petersburg, from which it is 25 M. W. by rail. In 1714 Menshikov, to whom the site was presented byPeter the Great, erected for himself the country-seat of Oranienbaum; but confiscated, like the rest of his estates, in 1727, it became an imperial residence. In 1743 the empress Elizabeth assigned the place to Peter III., who built there a castle, Peterstadt (now destroyed), for his Holstein soldiers.
End of Article: ORANIENBAUM
[back]
ORANGEMEN
[next]
ORAONS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.