Online Encyclopedia

ORSHA (Polish Orsza)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 331 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
ORSHA (Polish Orsza), a town of Russia, in the government of Mogilev, 74 M. by rail W.S.W. of Smolensk on the Moscow-Warsaw railway, and on the Dnieper. Pop. (1897), 13,161. It is an important entrepot for grain, seeds and timber. It is a very old town, mentioned in the annals under the name of Rsha in ro67. In the 13th century it was taken by the Lithuanians, who fortified it. In 1604 the Poles founded there a Jesuit college. The Russians besieged Orsha more than once in the 16th and 17th centuries, and finally annexed it in 1772.
End of Article: ORSHA (Polish Orsza)
[back]
ORSEOLO
[next]
ORSINI

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.