Online Encyclopedia

OSSETT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 354 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OSSETT, a municipal borough in the Morley parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 3 M. W. of Wakefield, on the Great Northern and (Horbury and Ossett station) the Lancashire and Yorkshire railways. Pop. (1901) 12,903. It includes the contiguous townships of Ossett, South Ossett and Gawthorpe. The church of the Holy Trinity, a fine cruciform structure in the Early Decorated style, was erected in 1865. Woollen cloth mills, and extensive collieries in the neighbourhood, employ the large industrial population. There are medicinal springs similar in their properties to those of Cheltenham. The municipal borough, incorporated in 189o, is under a mayor, 4 aldermen and 12 councillors. Area 3238 acres.
End of Article: OSSETT
[back]
OSSA (mod. Kissovo or Kissavo)
[next]
OSSIAN

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.