Online Encyclopedia

OSTROG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 362 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OSTROG, a town of Russia, in the government of Volhynia, 95 M. W. of Zhitomir, at the confluence of the Vilya with the Goryn. Pop. (1897) 14,530. It is an episcopal see of the Orthodox Greek Church, and in the 16th century had a classical academy, converted later into a Jesuit college. Here was made and printed in 1581 the first translation of the Bible into old Slay. In the town is a brotherhood of Cyril and Methodius, which maintains schools of its own. The tanning of light leather is an active domestic trade; other industries are potteries, oil-works, soap, candle and tobacco factories. After being plundered by the Cossack chieftain Khmelnitski in 1648, and conquered by the Russians seven years later, the town fell into decay.
End of Article: OSTROG
[back]
OSTRICH
[next]
OSTROGOTHS, or EAST GOTHS

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.