Online Encyclopedia

OTLEY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 367 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
OTLEY, a market town in the Otley parliamentary division of the West Riding of Yorkshire, England, 13 M. N.W. of Leeds on the Midland and the North-Eastern railways. Pop. of urban district (Igor) 9230. It is picturesquely situated on the south bank of the Wharfe, at the foot of the precipitous Chevin Hill, 925 ft. in height. In this neighbourhood excellent building-stone is quarried, which was used for the foundations of the Houses of Parliament in London, and is despatched to all parts of England. The church of All Saints has Norman portions, and a cross and other remains of pre-Norman date were discovered in restoring the building. There are interesting monuments of members of the Fairfax family and others. Worsted spinning and weaving, tanning and leather-dressing, paper-making and the making of printing-machines are the principal industries. The scenery of Wharfedale is very pleasant. In the dale, 7 M. below Otley, are the fine ruins of Harewood Castle, of the 14th century. The neighbouring church contains a noteworthy series of monuments of the 15th century in alabaster.
End of Article: OTLEY
[back]
JAMES OTIS (1725–1783)
[next]
OTRANTO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.