Online Encyclopedia

PADIHAM

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 444 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PADIHAM, an urban district in the Clitheroe parliamentary division of Lancashire, England, 3 M. W. by N. of Burnley by the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway. Pop. (1901), 12,205. It lies in a wild and dreary district on the precipitous banks of the Calder. It possesses large cotton mills, and quarries and coal-mines are worked in the immediate neighbourhood. The church of St Leonard, founded before 1451, was frequently altered before it was rebuilt in 1866–1868 in the Perpendicular style. Padiham in 1251 was a manor in the possession of Edmund de Lacy.
End of Article: PADIHAM
[back]
IGNACE JAN PADEREWSKI (186o- )
[next]
JUAN LOPEZ DE PADILLA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.