Online Encyclopedia

PANDHARPUR

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 675 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PANDHARPUR, a town of British India, in Sholapur district of Bombay, on the right bank of the river Bhitna, 38 m. W. of Sholapur town. Pop. (1901), 32,405. Pandharpur is the most popular place of pilgrimage in the Deccan, its celebrated temple being dedicated to Vithoba, a form of Vishnu. Three assemblages are held annually. In 1906 a light railway was opened to Pandharpur from Barsi Road on the Great Indian Peninsula railway.
End of Article: PANDHARPUR
[back]
PANDERMA (Gr. Panormus)
[next]
PANDORA (the " All-giving ")

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.