Online Encyclopedia

PARANAGUA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 766 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PARANAGUA, a seaport of the state of Parana, Brazil, on the southern shore of the Bay of Paranagua, about 9 M. from the bar of the main channel. Pop. of the municipality (189o), 11,794, of which a little more than one half belonged to the town. l, Paranagua is the principal port of the state, and is a port of call for steamers in the coastwise trade. It is the coastal terminus of a railway running to Curityba, the capital (69 m.), with extensions to other inland towns and a branch to Antonina, at the head of the bay, 102 m. west of Paranagua by water. Its exports consist chiefly of mate, or Paraguay tea. The town was founded in 156o. The Bay of Paranagua opens into the Atlantic in lat. 25° 32' S. through three channels and extends westward from the bar about 19 m. It is irregular in outline, receives the waters of a large number of small streams, and is comparatively shallow. Light-draught steamers can ascend to Antonina at the head of the bay. The broad entrance to the bay, which is the gateway to the state of Parana is nearly filled by the large Ilha do Mel (Honey Island) on which stands an antiquated fort commanding the only practicable channel.
End of Article: PARANAGUA
[back]
PARANA
[next]
PARANDHAR

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.