Online Encyclopedia

PARKERSBURG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V20, Page 830 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PARKERSBURG, a city and the county-seat of Wood county, West Virginia, U.S.A., on the Ohio river, at the mouth of the Little Kanawha, about 95 M. below Wheeling. Pop. (189o), 8408; (19o0), 11,703, of whom 515 were foreign-born and 783 were negroes; (1910 census), 17,842. Parkersburg is served by the Baltimore & Ohio, the Baltimore & Ohio South-western, and the Little Kanawha railways, by electric railway to Marietta, Ohio, and by passenger and freight boats to Pitts-burg, Cincinnati, intermediate ports, and ports on the Little Kanawha. Parkersburg is the see of a Protestant Episcopal bishop. Oil, coal, natural gas and fire-clay abound in the neighbouring region, and the city is engaged in the refining of oil and the manufacture of pottery, brick and tile, glass, lumber, furniture, flour, steel, and foundry and machine-shop products. In 1905 the ,value of the factory products was $3,778,139 (21.9% more than in 1900). Parkersburg was settled in 1789, was incorporated in 182o, and received a new charter in 1903, when its boundaries were enlarged. About 2 M. below the city is the island which was the home of Harman Blennerhassett (q.v.) and bears his name.
End of Article: PARKERSBURG
[back]
THEODORE PARKER (1810-186o)
[next]
SIR HARRY SMITH PARKES (1828-1885)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.