Online Encyclopedia

PEGAU

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 56 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PEGAU, a town of Germany, in the kingdom of Saxony, situated in a fertile country, on the Elster, 18 m. S.W. from Leipzig by the railway to Zeitz. Pop. (1905), 5656. It has two Evangelical churches, that of St Lawrence being a fine Gothic structure, a 16th-century town-hall; a very old hospital and an agricultural school. Its industries embrace the manu- from 1039 to 1227. See Fiissel, Anfang and Ende des Klosters St Jacob zu Pegau (Leipzig, 1857) ; and Dillner, Gressel and Gunther, Altes and neues aus Pegau (Leipzig, 1905). The Annales pegavienses are published in Bd. XVI. of the Monumenta Germaniae historica. Scriptures.
End of Article: PEGAU
[back]
PEGASUS (from Gr. lrgyor, compact, strong)
[next]
PEGMATITE (from Gr. 1r3 y ea, a bond)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.