Online Encyclopedia

PELOTAS

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 77 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PELOTAS, a city of the state of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, on the left bank of the Sao Gongalo river near its entrance into the Lag&a dos Patos, about 30 M. N.W. of the city of Rio Grande. Pop. (1g0o), city, about 24.000; municipio (commune, 1037 sq. m.),43,o91. The Rio Grsnde Bage railway communicates with the city of Rio Grande, and with the railways extending to Bage, Cacequy, Santa Maria, Passo Fundo and Porto Alegre. The Sao Goncalo river is the outlet of Lag&a Mirim, and Pelotas is therefore connected with the inland water routes. The city is built on an open grassy plain (campo) little above the level of the lake (28 ft. above sea-level). The public buildings include the church of Sao Francisco, dating from the early part of the loth century, the municipal hall, a fine theatre, the Misericordia hospital, a public library containing about 25,000 volumes and a great central market. Pelotas is the centre of the xarque or carne secca (jerked beef) industry of Rio Grande do Sul. In its outskirts and the surrounding country are an immense number of xarqueadas (slaughter-houses), with large open yards where the dressed beef, lightly salted, is exposed to the sun and air. There are many factories or packing houses where the by-products are prepared for market. Pelotas was only a small settlement at the beginning of the 19th century and had no parochial organization until 1812. It became a villa in 183o and a city in 1835.
End of Article: PELOTAS
[back]
PELOTA (Sp. " little ball," from Lat. piles)
[next]
THEOPHILE JULES PELOUZE (1807-1867)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.