Online Encyclopedia

PEREYASLAVL

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 138 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PEREYASLAVL, a town of Russia, in the government of Poltava, 26 m. S.E. of the city of Kiev, at the confluence of the Trubezh and the Alta, which reach the Dnieper 5 M. lower down at the town's port, the village of Andrushi. Pop. 14,609. Besides the town proper there are three considerable suburbs. Though founded in 993 by Vladimir the Great of Moscow in memory of his signal success over the Turkish Pechenegs, Pereyaslavl has now few remains of antiquity. The town has a trade in grain, salt, cattle and horses, and some manufactures —tallow, wax, tobacco, candles and shoes. From 1054 Pereyaslavl was the chief town of a separate principality. As a southern outpost it often figures in the 11th, 12th and 13th centuries, and was plundered by the Mongols in 1239. In later times it was one of the centres of the Cossack movement; and in 1628 the neighbourhood of the town was the scene of the extermination of the Polish forces known as " Tara's Night." It was by the Treaty of Pereyaslavl that in 1654 the Cossack chieftain Bogdan Chmielnicki acknowledged the supremacy of Tsar Alexis of Russia.
End of Article: PEREYASLAVL
[back]
PEREMPTORY
[next]
PEREYASLAVL (called Zalyeskiy, or " Beyond the Fore...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.