Online Encyclopedia

PETERWARDEIN (Hung. Petervarad, Serv....

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 305 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PETERWARDEIN (Hung. Petervarad, Serv. Petrovaradin), a royal free town and fortress of Hungary in the county of Syrmia, Croatia-Slavonia; situated on a promontory formed by a loop of the Danube, 62 m. N.W. of Belgrade by rail. Pop. (1900), 5019. It is connected with Neusatz on the opposite hank by a bridge of boats, a railway bridge and a steam ferry. The fortifications consist of the upper fortress, on a lofty serpentine rock rising abruptly from the plain on three sides, and of the lower fortress at the northern base of the rock. The two fortresses can accommodate a garrison of ro,000 men. In the lower fortress is the town, with a military hospital, and an arsenal containing trophies captured from the Turks. Peterwardein, the " Gibraltar of Hungary," is believed to represent the Roman Acumincum, and received its present name from Peter the Hermit, who here in 1096 marshalled the levies of the first crusade. It was captured by the Turks in 1526 and retained by them for 16o years. In 1716 it witnessed a signal defeat inflicted on the Turks by Prince Eugene. During the revolutionary struggles of 1848–49 the fortress was held by the insurgents for a short time.
End of Article: PETERWARDEIN (Hung. Petervarad, Serv. Petrovaradin)
[back]
PETERSFIELD
[next]
JOHN PETHERICK (1813–1882)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.