Online Encyclopedia

PETRIOU (also called Cha-chang-sao)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 316 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PETRIOU (also called Cha-chang-sao), a town and port of Siam, in the division of Pachim, about 45 M. E. of Bangkok. It is the centre of that part of southern Siam which is watered by the Bang Pakong River. It is built on low-lying, swampy ground, about ro m. from the mouth of the above river. The population is about io,000, mixed Siamese and Chinese, the latter slightly predominating. Rice-mills give employment to a large number of indentured Chinese coolies, but the inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. A railway connecting with Bangkok was opened in the spring of 1908.
End of Article: PETRIOU (also called Cha-chang-sao)
[back]
WILLIAM MATTHEW FLINDERS PETRIE (1853– )
[next]
PETROLEA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.