Online Encyclopedia

PETROZAVODSK

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 335 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PETROZAVODSK, a town and episcopal see of Russia, capital of the government of Olonets, on the west shore of Lake Onega, Igo m. N.E. of St Petersburg. Pop. (1865), 11,027; (1897), 12,521. Two cathedrals, built towards the end of the 18th century, a mining school, an ecclesiastical seminary and a government cannon-foundry are the chief public buildings and institutions. Peter the Great founded ironworks here in 1703, but they continued in operation only twenty-four years. The cannon-foundry was instituted in 1774. Petrozavodsk became the capital of the government of Olonets in 1802.
End of Article: PETROZAVODSK
[back]
PETROVSK
[next]
PANDOLFO PETRUCCI (d. 1512)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.