Online Encyclopedia

PFALZBURG

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 340 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PFALZBURG, a town of Germany, in the imperial province of Alsace—Lorraine, lies high on the west slopes of the Vosges, 25 M. N.W. of Strassburg by rail. Pop. (1905), 3716. It contains an Evangelical and a Roman Catholic church, a synagogue and a teachers' seminary. Its industries include the manufacture of gloves, straw hats and liqueurs, and also quarrying. The principality of Pfalzburg, of which this town was the capital, originally a part of Luxemburg, afterwards belonged in turn to the bishop of Metz, the bishop of Strassburg and the duke of Lorraine, and passed into the possession of France in 1661. The town was of importance as commanding the passes of the Vosges, and was strongly fortified by Vauban in 1680. The works resisted the Allies in 1814 and 1815, and the Germans for four months in 187o, but they were taken on the 12th of December of that year. They have since been razed.
End of Article: PFALZBURG
[back]
JOHANN FRIEDRICH PFAFF (1765–1825)
[next]
PFEIFFER

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.