Online Encyclopedia

PIAUHY, or PIAUHI

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 576 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PIAUHY, or PIAUHI, a north-eastern state of Brazil, bounded N. and W. by Maranhao, E. by Ceara, Pernambuco and Bahia, and S. by Bahia. It has a few miles of Atlantic coast-line on the N., and the Rio Parnahyba forms the boundary line with Maranhao throughout its entire length. Area, 116,523 sq. m.; pop. (1900), 334,328. Part of the state on the Atlantic coast and along the lower Parnahyba is low, swampy and malarial. South of this the country rises gradually to a high plateau with open campos. This plateau region is watered by numerous tributaries of the Parnahyba, chief of which are the Urussuhy, the Caninde and its tributary the Piauhy, the Gurgueia and its tributary the Parahim, which drains the large inland lake of Parnagua, the Longa, and the Poty, which has its source in the state of Ceara. The Parnahyba is navigable for boats of 3 ft. draught up to Nova York, a few miles above the mouth of the Gurgueia, and could be made navigable up to the mouth of the Balsas. The climate is hot and humid in the lowlands and along the lower Parnahyba, but in the uplands it is dry with high sun temperatures and cool nights. The principal industry is stock-raising, which dates from the first settlement in 1674 by Domingos Affonso .Mafrense, who established here a large number of cattle ranges. A secondary industry is the raising of goats, which are able to stand neglect and a scanty food supply. Sheep have likewise been raised in Piauhy, but there is no market for mutton and their wool is not utilized. The agricultural products are cotton, sugar and tobacco. Of food-stuffs the people do not produce enough for their own consumption. Forest products include rubber, carnauba wax and dyewoods. The exports include hides, skins, rubber, wax, tobacco and cotton. The capital is Therezina, on the right bank of the Parnahyba, 250 M. above Parnahyba (town), with which it is connected by a line of light-draught river boats. The town dates from 1852, is attractively situated, and is regularly laid out with broad, straight streets crossing each other at right angles. The population of the municipio in 1890 was 31,523, which includes a large rural district. Other towns, with their populations in 1890, are Oeiras (19,858), founded in 1718 under the name of Moxa; Amarante (15,525); Valenta (17,693); and Campo Maior (12,425), the figures given of population being those of the large districts (municipios) in which the towns are situated. PIAllA, properly an open square or place in an Italian town (Ital. piazza, from Lat. platee, broad space, Gr. 7rMTvs, broad). These squares were usually surrounded with e, colonnade or arcade, and thus the word has been loosely applied to a covered walk or arcade along the front of a building, and in America, to the veranda of a house. PIAllA ARMERINA, a city of Sicily, in the province of Caltanisetta, 39 M. by road E.S.E. from that town, and the same distance S. of the railway station of Assoro-Valguarnera, 43 M. W. of Catania, situated 2360 ft. above sea-level. Pop. (1001), 24,119. It has a 15th-century cathedral, with a fine campanile, and some of the houses show Norman or Gothic architecture. The foundation of the town dates from the 11th century, and the dialect is Lombard. See Mauceri in L'Arte (1906), 14. PIAllI, GIUSEPPE (1746-1826), Italian astronomer, was born at Ponte, in the Valtellina, on the 16th of July 1746. He entered the Theatine Order in 1764, accepted the chair of mathematics in the academy of Palermo in 1780, and persuaded the viceroy, Prince Caramanico, to build an observatory there. paint, from the parti-coloured appearance of the bird. It is en Picardie." Clovis had his first capital at Soissons Charlethis " pied " or black and white look of the page that probably gave the name of pica, " pie " or " pye," to the ordinal printed in black-letter (see PIE), and thence to a size of type in printing coming next to " English " (see TYPOGRAPHY). The Gr. rciava and Lat. pica were used of a perverted craving for unnatural foods; and the word has been adopted in this sense in modern medical terminology.
End of Article: PIAUHY, or PIAUHI
[back]
CARLO ALFREDO PIATTI (1822-1901)
[next]
SEIGNEUR DE GUY DU FAUR PIBRAC (1529-1584)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.