Online Encyclopedia

PILLNITZ

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 610 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PILLNITZ, a village in the kingdom of Saxony, situated on the right bank of the Elbe, 5 M. above Dresden. Pop. (1905), 770. The new palace of the king of Saxony was built in 1818 on the site of a building which was destroyed by fire. The place became a residence of the electors of Saxony about 1700, and the different parts of the palace were erected at various times during the 18th century. By the convention of Pillnitz in August 1791 the emperor Leopold II. and Frederick William II., king of Prussia, agreed to take common action against any attack on the part of France; this compact may be regarded as the basis of the first coalition against that country. See A. von Minchwitz, Geschichte von Pillnitz (Dresden, 1893).
End of Article: PILLNITZ
[back]
PILLION
[next]
PILLORY (0. Fr. pilori, Prov. espitlori, from Lat. ...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.