Online Encyclopedia

PIOTRKOW

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 632 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PIOTRKOW, a town of Russian Poland, capital of the government of the same name, and formerly the seat of the high court of Poland, on the railway from Warsaw to Vienna, 90 m. south-west of the former and 5 in. west of the river Pilica. Pop. (1900), 32,173. It is a well-kept town, with numerous gardens, and has flour-mills, saw-mills, tanneries, agricultural machinery works, and breweries. One of the oldest towns in Poland, Piotrkow was in the 15th and 16th centuries the place of meeting of the diets, and here the kings were elected. In the 14th century Casimir the Great built here a castle (now a military church) and surrounded the town with walls. Here in 1769 the Russians defeated the (Polish) forces of the Bar Confederation.
End of Article: PIOTRKOW
[back]
PIONEER
[next]
PIOTRKOW (Ger. Petrikau)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.