Online Encyclopedia

PIQUA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 637 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PIQUA, a city of Miami county; Ohio, U.S.A., on the Miami River and the Miami & Erie Canal, 73 M. W. by N. of Columbus. Pop. (1890), 9090; (1900), 12,172, af whom 901 were foreign-born and 487 were negroes; (1910 census), 13,388. It is served by the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago & St Louis, and the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railways, and by inter-urban electric lines to Lima, Dayton and Covington. It has a park, a public library and a public hospital. There are quarries of blue limestone in the vicinity. The city has various manufactures, the factory products being valued in 1905 at $4,035,706. The municipality owns and operates its waterworks. On or near the site of Piqua was one of the principal villages of the Chillicothe division of the Shawnee tribe; the village also was called Chillicothe. It was destroyed by George Rogers Clark in 1782. A town was laid out here in 1809 under the name of Washington, and the present name, that of another division of the Shawnee tribe, was substituted in 1823. Piqua was chartered as a city in 1846. During the French and Indian War, in 1763, a battle was fought in this vicinity chiefly between the Miamis, Wyandots, Ottawas and other Indian allies of the French, and the Delawares, Shawnees, Cherokees, Catawbas and other Indian allies of the English, the English allies making an unsuccessful attempt to drive the French allies from their fortified position, Fort Piqua. See Henry Howe, Historical Collections of Ohio (Columbus, 1891).
End of Article: PIQUA
[back]
PIPRAWA
[next]
PIQUET

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.