Online Encyclopedia

PLOEN

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 849 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PLOEN, a town of Germany, in Schleswig-Holstein, beautifully situated between two lakes, the large and the small Ploener-See, 20 M. S. from Kiel by the railway to Eutin and Lubeck. Pop. (1905), 3735. It has a palace built about 163o and now converted into a cadet school, a gymnasium and a biological station. Tobacco, soap, soda, beer and furniture are manufactured, and there is a considerable trade in timber and grain. The lakes afford good fishing, and are navigated in summer by steamboats. Ploen is mentioned as early as the 11th century as a Wendish settlement, and a fortified place. It passed in 1559 to Duke John the Younger, founder of the line of Holstein-Sonderburg, on the extinction of which, in 1761, it fell to Denmark, and in 1867, with Schleswig-Holstein, to Prussia. The sons of the emperor William II. received their early education here. See H. Eggers, Schloss and Stadt Ploen (Kiel, 1877), and J. C. Kinder, Urkundenbuch zur Chronik tier Stadt Ploen (Pl&n, 1890).
End of Article: PLOEN
[back]
PLOCK, or PLOTSK
[next]
LUISE VON PLOENNIES (1803-1872)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.