Online Encyclopedia

PLOESCI (Ploescii)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 849 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PLOESCI (Ploescii), the capital of the department of Prahova, Rumania; at the southern entrance of a valley among the Carpathian foothills, through which flows the river Prahova; and at the junction of railways to Buzeu, Bucharest and Hermannstadt in Transylvania. Pop. (1goo), 42,687. As the name Ploesci (pluviena, rainy) implies, the climate is moist. The surrounding hills are rich in petroleum, salt and lignite. There are cardboard factories, roperies, tanneries and oil mills. Ploesci possesses schools of commerce and of arts and crafts, several banks, and many synagogues and churches, including the Orthodox church of St Mary, built in 1940 by Matthew Bassarab.
End of Article: PLOESCI (Ploescii)
[back]
LUISE VON PLOENNIES (1803-1872)
[next]
PLOMBIBRES

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.