Online Encyclopedia

POLIGNY

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V21, Page 981 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
POLIGNY, a town of eastern France, capital of an arrondissement in the department of Jura, 18 m. N. N.E. of Lons-le-Saunier on the Paris-Lyons railway. Pop. (1906), 3756. The town lies in the valley of the Glantine at the base of a hill crowned by the ruins of the old castle of Grimont, once the repository of the archives of the county of Burgundy. The church of Montivillard, its most remarkable building, dates in the oldest portions. from the 12th century, its chief features being a Romanesque tower and reredos of the Renaissance period. Amongst the other old buildings of the town, the church of St Hippolyte, of the first half of the 15th century, and a convent-church serving as corn market are of some interest. The tribunal of first instance belonging to the arrondissement is at Arbois. Poligny has a sub-prefecture, a communal college and a school of dairy instruction. Under the name of Polemniacum the town seems to have existed at the time of the Roman occupation.
End of Article: POLIGNY
[back]
POLIGNAC
[next]
POLISH

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.