Online Encyclopedia

PORTO FARINA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 123 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PORTO FARINA, a town of Tunisia about 20 M. E. of Bizerta, on the Ghar-el-Mela, a lagoon, also known as the Lake of Porto Farina, at the mouth of the Mejerda (the ancient Bagradas). Porto Farina was the naval arsenal of the piratical beys of Tunis and was bombarded by the English under Admiral Blake in 1655. The lagoon has become very shallow in consequence of the silt brought down by the Mejerda. The town has ceased to be important, and its inhabitants have dwindled to about 1500. The ruins to m. to the south-west, near the village of Bu Shater, are identified with the ancient Utica (q.v.).
End of Article: PORTO FARINA
[back]
PORTO
[next]
PORTO MAURIZIO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.