Online Encyclopedia

PORT ADELAIDE

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 109 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PORT ADELAIDE, a port of Adelaide county, South Australia, 71 M. by rail N.W. of Adelaide. Pop. of the town and suburbs (1901), 20,089. It is situated on an estuary 9 M. from St Vincent Gulf and is the principal shipping port of South Australia. Its wharves, equipped with steam and travelling cranes, and tram-ways, are 22 M. in extent; it has docks and a number of patent slips capable of taking up vessels of 300 to 1500 tons. There are also piers at Semaphore and Larg's Bay, on the other side of Lefevre's Peninsula some 2 M. distant, which are connected with Port Adelaide by rail. The industries comprise silver and copper smelting, brewing, sawmilling, ropemaking, flourmilling, sugar-refining and yacht-building. The harbour is protected by two forts known as the Fort Glanville batteries. The suburbs, which are connected with the town by tramways, are Alberton, Queenstown, Yatala, Rosewater and Kingston-on-the-Hill.
End of Article: PORT ADELAIDE
[back]
PORT
[next]
PORT ARTHUR (Chinese, Lu-shun-k'ou)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.