Online Encyclopedia

PORT AU PRINCE (originally L'Hopital,...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 112 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PORT AU PRINCE (originally L'Hopital, and for brief periods Port Henri and Port Republicain), the capital of the republic of Haiti, West Indies, situated at the apex of the triangular bay which strikes inland for about ioo m. between the two great peninsulas of the west coast, with its upper recesses protected by the beautiful island of Gonaives (30 M. long by 2 broad). The city is admirably situated on ground that soon begins to rise rapidly towards the hills. It was originally laid out by the French on a regular plan with streets of good width running north and south and intersected by others at right angles. Everything has been allowed to fall into disorder and disrepair, and to this its public buildings form no exception. Every few years whole quarters of the town are burned down, but the people go on building the same slight wooden houses, with only here and there a more substantial warehouse in brick. In spite of the old French aqueduct the water-supply is defective. From June to September the heat is excessive, reaching 95° to 99° F. in the shade. The population, mostly negroes and mulattoes, is estimated at 6x,000. Port au Prince was first laid out by M. de la Cuza in 1949. In 1751, and again in 1770, it was destroyed by earthquakes.
End of Article: PORT AU PRINCE (originally L'Hopital, and for brief periods Port Henri and Port Republicain)
[back]
PORT ARTHUR (formerly Prince Arthur's Landing)
[next]
PORT AUGUSTA

Additional information and Comments

The Island reffered to in this article is rather "La Gonave" not Gonaives.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.