Online Encyclopedia

POZHAREVATS (also written Passarowitz...

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 239 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
POZHAREVATS (also written Passarowitz and Pozarevac), a town in Servia, situated in the Morava valley, 4 m. E. of the Morava river and 8 m. S. of the Danube. The station for steamers, Dubravitsa, with its custom-house, standing on the banks of the Danube, forms practically the harbour of Pozharevats. The town has no special industry, but is the principal market of a very extensive and fruitful plain between the rivers Morava, Mlava and Danube. It is the capital of a department bearing the same name, and the seat of a prefecture, a tribunal of justice, a college and several national or normal schools. It has a large modern penitentiary, with a department for political offenders and a prison for women. Two miles to the west, towards Morava, is situated Lubichevo, a model farm and stud belonging to the government. The shady park and flower gardens are a popular resort of the people of Pozharevats. The town is known in the history of international treaties as the place at which the famous peace of Passarowitz between Austria and Turkey was concluded in 1718. Pop. (1900), 12,957. Lignite is worked at Kostolats, 7 m. N. by E., and' the hills between Pozharevats and Kostolats show many traces of Roman mines. A number of coins, sarcophagi and inscriptions found in the neighbourhood are also Roman.
End of Article: POZHAREVATS (also written Passarowitz and Pozarevac)
[back]
BART SIR EDWARD JOHN POYNTER
[next]
POZOBLANCO

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.