Online Encyclopedia

PROCIDA (Gr. Ilpoxi ro, Lat. Prochyta)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 417 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PROCIDA (Gr. Ilpoxi ro, Lat. Prochyta), an island off the coast of Campania, Italy, 2 m. S.W. of Capo Miseno, and 2 M. N.E. of Ischia on the west side of the Gulf of Naples, and about 12 M. S.W. of Naples. Pop. (1901), of the town, 2520; of the whole island, one commune, 14,440. It is about 2 M. in length and of varying width, and, reckoning in the adjacent island of Vivara, is made up of four extinct craters, parts of the margins of all of which have been destroyed by the sea. The highest point of it is only 250 ft. above sea-level. It is very fertile, and the population is engaged in the cultivation of vines and fruit and in fishing. Procida, the only town, lies on the east side; its castle is now a prison. It also contains a royal palace. Classical authors explained the name of Procida either as an allusion to its having been detached from Ischia, or as being that of the nurse of Aeneas.
End of Article: PROCIDA (Gr. Ilpoxi ro, Lat. Prochyta)
[back]
PROCESSION PATH (Lat. ambitus templi)
[next]
PROCLAMATION (Lat. proclamare, to make public by an...

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.