Online Encyclopedia

PROSKUROV, or PLOSKUROV

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 457 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PROSKUROV, or PLOSKUROV, a town of Russia, in the government of Podolia, situated on the railway from Odessa to Lem-berg, 62 m. N.W. of Zhmerinka junction. Pop. (1897), 22,915, more than one-half being Jews. It is poorly built, mostly of wood, on a low marshy plain surrounded by hills, at the confluence of the Ploskaya with the Bug. Its old castle has been destroyed, the site being occupied by a Roman Catholic church. The Orthodox Greek cathedral (1839) contains a very ancient and highly venerated image of the Virgin. The manufactures include oil-works and potteries; the Jewish merchants carry on an active export trade in corn and sugar, while the imports consist of salt and manufactured wares. Agriculture and market-gardening are the chief occupations of the Little-Russian inhabitants.
End of Article: PROSKUROV, or PLOSKUROV
[back]
PROSERPINE (Proserpina)
[next]
PROSODY (Gr. rpovwSta)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.