Online Encyclopedia

PUERTO CORTES (CORTEZ or CABALLOS)

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 634 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PUERTO CORTES (CORTEZ or CABALLOS), a seaport on the Atlantic coast of Honduras; in 15° 51' N. and 87° 56' W., at the northern terminus of the transcontinental railway from Fonseca Bay, and near the mouth of the river Chamalecon. Pop. (1905), about 2500. The harbour, an inlet of the Gulf of Honduras, is deep, spacious and secure, and there is a railway pier at which vessels can load and discharge. The exports include bananas, coffee, cabinet woods, rubber, sarsaparilla, livestock, deerskins and gold. The harbour was discovered in 1527 by Gonzalo d'Avila, and the town was founded a few years later by order of Hernando Cortes, from whom it derives its name.
End of Article: PUERTO CORTES (CORTEZ or CABALLOS)
[back]
PUERTO CABELLO
[next]
PUERTO DE SANTA MARIA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.