Online Encyclopedia

PUERTO DE SANTA MARIA

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 634 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PUERTO DE SANTA MARIA, a seaport of southern Spain, in the province of Cadiz, on the right bank of the river Guadalete, with a station on the railway from Cadiz to Seville. Pop. (1900), 20,120. Puerto de Santa Maria, commonly called " El Puerto," is probably the Menesthei Portus of Ptolemy. Its most important industry is the wine trade; there are also glass,liqueur, alcohol, starch and soap manufactures. The principal buildings are a Moorish citadel, a Gothic church founded in the 13th century, a Jesuit college, and a bull-ring which accommodates 12,000 spectators. The town is noted for its bull-fights, that given here in honour of Wellington being the subject of the considerably idealized description in Byron's Childe Harold.
End of Article: PUERTO DE SANTA MARIA
[back]
PUERTO CORTES (CORTEZ or CABALLOS)
[next]
PUERTO PRINCIPE (officially, CAMAGUEY)

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.