Online Encyclopedia

PULICAT

Online Encyclopedia
Originally appearing in Volume V22, Page 640 of the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica.
Spread the word: del.icio.us del.icio.us it!
PULICAT, a town of British India, in Chingleput district, Madras, 25 M. N. of Madras city. Pop. (1901), 5448. The Dutch built a fort here as early as 1609, and it was for a long time their chief settlement on the Coromandel coast. Repeatedly captured, it did not finally become British until 1825. It gives its name to the Pulicat lake, a shallow lagoon stretching for about 37 M. along the coast. The seaward side is formed by the island of Sriharikot, which supplies firewood to Madras city.
End of Article: PULICAT
[back]
HERNANDO DE PULGAR (1436-c. 1492)
[next]
PULKOVO, or PULKOWA

Additional information and Comments

There are no comments yet for this article.
» Add information or comments to this article.
Please link directly to this article:
Highlight the code below, right click and select "copy." Paste it into a website, email, or other HTML document.